Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:27:06 +0200
From:      Joan Picanyol <pica-lists@biaix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   chown/install over NFS

(please honour Mail-Followup-To, I'm not subscribed)

Hi,

I have to install jdk131, but I don't have enough disk space to build it
don't have enough disk space to build it on the server it is to be
installed. So I went to another machine (on another network) which has a
workstation next to it with enough disk space, exported it via NFS to my
server, and set up a 'fake' local/ and ports/ hierarchy to build it
there (as a _non_ root user) using PORTSDIR, PREFIX, PKG_DBDIR and
NO_MTREE.

The fs is exported (from Linux) using 'exportfs -o
rw,all_squash,anonuid=joan,anongid=users,insecure hobbes:/export/build',
and I can mount it as a regular user on the FreeBSD system. I can create
and delete files on the directory, but I can't chown() them (not even as
root):

hobbes:~/mnt$ mount
[snip]
grummit:/export/build on /home/joan/mnt (nfs)
hobbes:~/mnt$ pwd
/home/joan/mnt
hobbes:~/mnt$ mkdir stupid
hobbes:~/mnt$ touch stupid/blah
hobbes:~/mnt$ rm stupid/blah
hobbes:~/mnt$ touch stupid/blah
hobbes:~/mnt$ chown joan.joan stupid/blah
chown: stupid/blah: Operation not permitted
hobbes:~/mnt$ sudo chown joan.joan stupid/blah
Password:
chown: stupid/blah: Operation not permitted
hobbes:~/mnt$

So I assume that 'chown' does not work across NFS :( Because of this,
doing 'make install' fails on any port, and I can't build the package for
my other system :(

Does anyone know a workaround (or another strategy, the point is to
build jdk131 off-site)?

tks
--
pica