Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:33:31 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Leigh V <leighv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Netra X1 success, almost

Apparently, On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:05:29PM +1000,
	Leigh V said words to the effect of;

> After trying to netboot the Netra X1, and failing
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=6418+0+archive/2002/freebsd-spa
> rc/20020804.freebsd-sparc
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=33066+0+archive/2002/freebsd-sp
> arc/20020804.freebsd-sparc
>
> I pulled out the HD of the Netra X1 and put it into a sunblade 100 machine I
> have. with the idea of installing and setting it up from CD from that and
> putting it back into the Netra X1
> I got it to boot from CD but only seems to work properly in single user mode
> and booting it with -C to mount the cdrom and the root filesystem
> boot -sC
> but once I get to the shell its extremely slow and sometimes have to hit a
> key twice for it to go through to the machine.
> I did disklabel -w -r ad0 auto
> on the shell and the CDROM started up and just stayed spinning, I left it
> for over 30mins but nothing happened, so I thought I would try putting the
> CDROM in the second IDE port of the Netra X1.
> I set the cdrom to master and put it in the second IDE port of the Netra X1
> and did "boot cdrom" and it booted nicely and ran at a nice normal speed.
> It printed out pretty much the exact same crap that is on here
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64/tip.record
> But I don't understand how to disklabel it,
> I did "disklabel -w -r ad0 auto" which went just fine
> And then I did "disklabel -e ad0" and it comes up with all the partition
> info with just partition "c:" showing the full size of the drive, how do I
> make the other slices? how am I spose to know what numbers to put in there?
> On the instructions at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/CURRENT/installation-sparc64.html
> and the man file for disklabel
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=disklabel&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD
> +5.0-current
> They just have examples of doing "disklabel -e devicename" and just say "add
> them here" like its some super easy thing that doesn't deserve an example.
> Well I say it does :) Can some one give me an example?
>
> All I want is a disklabel example for root "/" and swap, and maybe "/usr" I
> like to have the least amount of partitions possible because they always end
> up being a pain in the ass other wise, I never use any of that read only
> partition crap and I don't recon having separate partitions has noticeable
> performance benefits if it does I wanna see some benchmarks, or does it make
> it easier to manage in terms of file system checks?,

Look at an example from another machine (ie disklabel ad0 on an x86 box).
The sizes are in sectors (512 bytes/sector).  Be sure to make the sizes
a multiple of the sectors/cylinder listed in the disklabel on the sparc
(sectors/cylinder: xxxx).  You can put * for the offset and disklabel will
calculate it.

FYI the davicom ethernet in the netra x1 is not supported so you'll have
no network.

Jake