Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep@meduseld.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld

   Ruslan> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:46:45AM -0400, Chris BeHanna
   Ruslan> wrote:
   >> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Ronneil Camara wrote:
   >>
   >> > All I can say is that I just normally execute those commands
   >> > as what I have been doing a long time ago.
   >> >
   >> > vi stable-supfile
   >> > cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile
   >> > cd /usr/src
   >> > make buildworld
   >> > make installworld
   >>
   >> This is not right.  Here's what you should be doing:
   >>
   >> vi stable-supfile cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile
   >> cd /usr/src
   >> make buildworld
   >> make buildkernel KERNCONF=<your kernel name here>
   >> make installkernel
   >> shutdown -r now
   >> # (make sure the system comes up)
   >> shutdown -r now
   >> # (come up in single-user mode this time)
   >> make installworld
   >> mergemaster
   >> shutdown -r now
   >> # (come up normally this time)
   >>
   >> These steps have been documented in /usr/src/UPDATING since 4.0.
   >> This is the only supported procedure for upgrading your system
   >> from source.
   >>
   Ruslan> ... that is _guaranteed_ to work (modulo the ``mergemaster
   Ruslan> -p'' step).  At different times, a simple "make world
   Ruslan> kernel" may work, but it is not guaranteed to.
To be pedantic, this is *NOT* what is in /usr/src/UPDATING, at least
in mine.  Here is what I have in /usr/src/UPDATING:

	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	reboot	(in single user)
	make installworld
	mergemaster
	reboot

The boot to multiuser
   >> shutdown -r now
   >> # (make sure the system comes up)
is not in the documented sequence and may result in problems with
daemons started by /etc/rc that are out of sync with the new kernel.
In practice, I'm sure it rarely will cause a problem, but I don't see
any advantage to doing the multiuser boot.  And, since it may fail or
have problems only due to kernel/world sync issues (which the
installworld will fix) it may imply a problem that doesn't really
exist.

davep

--
Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
		-- Dennis Miller