Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:36:49 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tekram DC-395 driver maintenance

Gerrit Kuehn sponsored me his Tekram DC-395U adapter card after he's
been unsuccessful to get it properly running together with his MO
drive and the Tekram-provided driver.  I once promised him that i
could perhaps take over maintenance for it provided i own the
appropriate hardware. ;-)  For those who are not familiar with the
Tekram product line, that's the controller series where they are
employing an ASIC of their own for the controller (TRM-S1040), while
in most other controller boards, they're using Symbios Logic chips
that are supported well by our sym(4) driver.

In the course of investigating his problems, i eventually found out
that there was one serious bug in that driver: upon detecting a CHECK
CONDITION, they didn't set the appropriate CAM error flag
(CAM_SCSI_STATUS_ERROR), so the CAM layer never bothered to handle the
error at all.  This was non-fatal as long as the attached devices
never issued a CHECK CONDITION :), but naturally, even a missing MO
medium at initialisation time caused the upper layers to assume the
device were ready, and they started to interpret garbage data as valid
numbers, which eventually would lead to an integer divide by zero
fault in the geometry calculation.

I did a few other minor changes, like renaming the driver from the
overly long "tekram_trm" to just "trm".  Still, the code looks a bit
strange to us (Hungarian notation, 4-position hard tabs) since it's
just vendor-supplied code.  Would anybody have strong objections for
me to import the code into our tree, under the promise that i could
keep track of future vendor submissions?  I guess there's no room on
the bootfloppy to include it by default, but maybe we could arrange
for a third bootfloppy containing loadable modules some day, so that
would extend the list of supported controllers.