Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:41:19 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weirdness trying -STABLE -> -CURRENT

Hello David,

First off, sorry for the lot of snippage but this mail was really
long...

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:37:06AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
<...>
> OK; I brought it back up under today's -STABLE, and looking at the typescript
> file, I see that it ends thusly:
<...>
> ===> usr.bin/checknr
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   checknr /usr/bin
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444 checknr.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
> ===> usr.bin/chflags
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   chflags /bin
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444 chflags.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
> ===> usr.bin/chpass
> [ ! -e /usr/bin/chpass ] ||  chflags noschg /usr/bin/chpass || true
> *** Signal 12
<...>
> So I get the impression that folks who are complaining about the shell
> getting a SIGSYS probably aren't hallucinating (about that, anyway), and
> to the extent that there's a (non-recovered) mistake in the procedure I
> followed, perhaps the effected folks are doing something similar.

This is known problem, straight updates by simply "make world" do not
work from -STABLE. Therefore, one has to very carefully follow the
procedure described in the UPDATING file even though normally not so
many steps would be needed.

To get of this situatio, the person(s) affected should do a "make -k
installworld" now and then a "make installworld" again anf this way get
all the new userland installed.

Also, one should not use the "-j" when upgrading (as stated in UPDATING)

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szombathely Hungary