Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:26:19 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@vicor.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Racoon question

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 03:48:56PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I have a (probably silly) question about racoon..
>
> I have racoon working to some extent.
> I have it working in transport mode.
>
> However I notice that if I have a problem on one system it sometimes
> needs to wait until the running SA has expired until things can be
> restarted.. For example if one system is rebooted, I need to reset the
> racoon on the
> other system and clear SAs etc. before  things can resync.

Yeah, known issue which comes up from time to time. It is a common
headache in IPsec. 'Coulda sworn there was a sysctl(8) to change this
behavior, but I can't find it. Nor can I Google anything except other
{Free,Net,Open}BSD and Linux people complaining about the
problem. This IETF draft explains some of the issues,

  http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-spencer-ipsec-ike-implementation-02.txt

Maybe you can find some of the solutions that have been offered. It's
been discussed on various lists (-net, -security, and -questions) many
times.

But just so you know,

> It occured to me that this may be because the racoons need to talk
> across the
> transport connection that is toasted so it's a catch-22.
>
> I tried setting up port 500 as an excpetion using 'none'
> in /etc/ipsec.conf but that seems to confuse things.. it seems unable to
> decide for
> any given connection whether
> to use the [500] or [any]
> sessions.

This actually is not the problem. IKE/IPsec implementations have to be
smart enough to handle the negotiations "OOB."