Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 03:36:46 -0700
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <kpieckiel-freebsd-java@smartrafficenter.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status update

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:20:03PM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> Yep. jdk 1.4 is almost self-buildable now (except one case, but having
> it native-bootstraped gave me optimizim that it will be fixed soon).
>
> Main problem now is to get working (at least basicly) awt based apps
> and check out functionality of application that utilizies java threads.
>
> BTW, it would be nice if someone will send me few examples of standalone
> java applications that heavily utilize java threads (no gui please :-))

Remember the conversation we had about merging in the HotSpot code ?

You have to do that before it's going to work or replicate that work
yourself.

The primordial thread is working because that's just calling main(), but
the rest of the threading infrastructure must be glue to pthreads (or
something like that) in a very careful manner. The linux threading stuff
that your port is based on is pretty bogus and won't work without serious
modification. Specifically, the same kind of modifications I did to HotSpot.
That's why you should be using or merging in those patches. It's not
trivial work to mess around with the internals of this compiler and I
was very careful about making sure everything works as advertized
including the threading system, which was all extremely tedious work.

Hopefully, the differences between the 1.3.1 and 1.4 HotSpot JITs aren't
too different.

bill