Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:14:25 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up a Java development environment

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 03:29pm, Dan Langille wrote:
> I have used Java in my deep dark past.  I think it was a Borland
> environment, but I can't remember.  I think it was I am about to
> start doing it again[1].  What do you recommend as a development
> environment?  I have access to both a XP desktop and a KDE desktop
> (via VNC for now).

Man I have tried everything.

Try JEdit 4.0, seriously.

JEdit is a pure Java editor, and it's fast, and does just about everything
well.  It has "modes" (if you are familiar with the emacs meaning of that
word) and they are extensive -- I use it to edit XML, DocBook/SGML, C, PHP,
shell scripts, Perl, etc.  Everything.

The plugins in JEdit allow you to do quite a bit:  debug (JPDA), use Ant as a
build tool, code beautify, build diffs, javadoc, checkins/checkouts to (CVS
or whatever, you can also do this through Ant), test code under many
different JDKs on-the-fly, convert your code to HTML, etc.   Too many things
to mention here.   You can invade IRC from JEdit if you want to. :-)

The plugins install easily (automatically from within the app; you just pick
which ones you want, and it takes care of the rest).   JEdit also will
auto-update itself.

Perhaps most immediately valuable aspect of JEdit is that the "theme" of the
editor is very customizable.  On the surface, that seems trivial -- but if
you spend enough time in any editor you know how badly you'd like you tweak
the appearance.  (color schemes, fonts, whitespace, etc).  It comes with many
different themes to choose from, or you can quickly make your own.   It makes
a difference.

JEdit is immediately useable in it's default form without plugins, but the
first thing anyone should do when starting out with JEdit is go load up on
plugins first.

I can't recommend this editor enough.

[ http://www.jedit.org ]
[ /usr/ports/editors/jedit ]