Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ko <kuujinbo@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   where do kernel configuration files go?

Hi!

Just finished 'make world' process to update a couple of machines to
STABLE branch using the process outlined in the handbook. The updates
were done using one build machine to build 'world' and 'kernel' for
the other machines.

Section 20.5.1 in the handbook states:

"The build machine must have the kernel configuration files for each
machine in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf if it is going to build their
kernels."

So I copied the kernel configuration files for every machine to that
directory. But when I did:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=BOXn

the build machine did make on its own kernel config file instead of
the config file for the box that needed to be updated. Being new to
all this, I didn't figure this out until after I mounted /usr/src and
/usr/obj NFS on the update box and ran 'make installkernel
KERNCONF=BOXn' and got an error message. So I double checked a couple
of things, including 'make.conf' on both boxes to make sure they
passed the same variables, and that 'KERNCONF=xxx' on the build box
had its config file listed first. Eventually, I reasoned that maybe
the kernel config file needed to be in '/sys/i386/conf' where it is by
default, so I copied it there. This time the kernel install worked.

My question is do the kernel config files for all the other machines
that need to be updated really need to be in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf as
the handbook states? Or can I leave them in /sys/i386/conf? Could I
could have simply created a symlink in /sys/i386/conf that pointed to
the files in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf?

Thanks in advance!