Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:56:20 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: <releaseinfo> vs <pubdate> in books/fdp-primer/sgml-markup/chapter.sgml

Hi.  I've seen no replies to this one, and I meant to post something
for quite a while.  First of all, thanks to Christian for noticing the
entire releaseinfo/pubdate stuff.

On 2002-08-13 20:57 +0000, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> The FDP-Primer states that one should use <releaseinfo>$Id$</releaseinfo>
> and <pubdate role="rcs">$Date$</pubdate> when starting a book or an
> article.  $Id$ and $Date$ aren't expanded anymore by the FreeBSD CVS
> system, so obviously this needs some fixing.

True.

> The question is, what should be used instead?  Many articles were
> switched to <pubdate>$FreeBSD$</pubdate>, although I think that
> <releaseinfo>$FreeBSD$</releaseinfo> is more appropriate.

The Docbook Guide describes the two very shortly as:

pubdate - The date of publication of a document
releaseinfo - Information about a particular release of a document

This sounds very similar, at first glance.  In fact, the two are
identical for online documents, like the FreeBSD documentation.
My guess is that pubdate is meant for books that are typeset, and
printed the way "real world" books are, where an edition is made
public every now and then.  The releaseinfo description matches my
idea of what an online document is.  A document that is constantly
updated and new releases of it become available as changes are
committed to the document repository.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve <> http://www.FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Aug 21 22:08:19 EEST 2002