Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:37:47 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@fromme.com>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tosha port causing system to reboot

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 17:49:36 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Kal Torak wrote:
>  > Anyway the problem seems fairly stright forward, I have found that its
>  > triggerd by reading an audio cd that also contains a data track..
>
> I've read a lot of such CD-ROMs without problems.  I'm
> using a slightly newer version of tosha, however, maybe
> that makes a difference.  I should finally take the time
> to update the port ...  :-/

It would be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

>  > The simple work-around is to just list the tracks you want to extract and
>  > make sure none of them are data tracks, but in the default mode it tries
>  > to read the data track as audio and causes the system to panic..
>  >
>  > This just seems like a bug that the program doesnt check the type of track
>  > before reading it... I will send all the dump and things if its needed, but
>  > it doesnt seem to be system/hardware related...
>
> It's certainly system-related.  A userland program should
> _never_ be able to cause a system panic, no matter if that
> program has bugs or not.

In this case, I think it is true that tosha should not be able to panic the
system.  Something is wrong.  From the stack trace, it's kinda hard to see
any cause and effect, though.

In general, though, you can't say that a userland program should never be
able to cause a system panic.  Using /dev/mem, you can scribble all over
the place, including registers on most card in the system.  Writing random
garbage to /dev/mem will probably panic the system pretty quick.

Similarly, anybody with access to a pass device can 'camcontrol format
da0'.  :)  (Not sure whether that would panic the system, since I've never
tried it on a boot device. :)

It's probably better to say that no *normal* (non-root) user should be able
to panic the system, assuming all device permissions are set to their
default values.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry