Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:59:40 +0200
From:      Wim Livens <wim@livens.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network diagrams

I'm looking for a way to automatically generate a network diagram
image showing IP addresses, hostnames and interface names.

We're running an ISP access network (about 20 nodes) and I don't want
to update visio drawings manually while all topology info is in a
database.  Besides that, I would like to generate a similar drawing
for the customer's access link and their router on a web portal.  I
could probably do the latter with GD.pm, but I feel a bit like
reinventing the wheel and rather have a more generic solution.

The database contains a table like this:

 IPaddr, hostname, interface, network

I understand I will need to supply some hints for the layout
generation, like a rank or coordinates for each node.

I looked at caida.org, but these are all for large backbone networks.

I've also been playing with dot and neato by generating the input file
from our database, but I can't get it to produce a decent layout, the
"ranking" feature of dot seems too limited.  W.r.t. neato, being an
access network, there is a clear hierarchy in the nodes, so a
spring-model graph layout is not suited either.

Any ideas ?

thanks and hoping it was not too far off-topic,

Wim.