Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:36:38 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   What kind of PPP connection do you have?

I'm currently revising my book "The Complete FreeBSD".  The new
edition should be out in the bookstores in a couple of months.  Right
now I'm revising the chapter on PPP setup, which was written in 1997.
Since then, the ISP landscape has changed dramatically, and I suspect
that large parts of the chapter are no longer relevant.  I'd like your
feedback on the following issues:

1.  What kind of authentication do you use?  Please don't reply if
    it's PAP or CHAP; I think that's almost universal.  I'm just
    interested if anybody is using anything else (like a UNIX login,
    for example).

2.  Do you use user PPP or kernel PPP?  I'd like answers in each case
    here, please.  I note that other books have decided to describe
    only one or the other, but currently I think there's a reason for
    both.

Greg
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key