Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:38:52 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-15?Q?Aur=E9lien?= Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dmesg circular buffer

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

Hi,

It seems that on some machines, while rebooting, the memory
where the kernel message buffer is stored, is not cleaned (on my laptop
it's the case).

If your computer has this *bug*, doing 'dmesg' will display all
messages since you powered on you computer.

Otherwise, if your memory is cleaned correctly I don't know
how you can recover last boot messages (maybe you could write
a script which writes the content of /var/run/dmesg.boot into
a file named dmesg-date.boot)

I have patched 'dmesg' to add an option to choose to display
all messages or only the last; if your system has the 'memory
problem' I can send you the patches (it won't help you recovering
old messages but for further calls to 'dmesg' if you have rebooted
many many times, the display will be less confusing)

I have submited those patches to a committer but he hasn't commited
them yet.

-- Aur=E9lien

PS: when i say 'memory problem', I don't really know if it's deliberate or =
not
but I think it's not :p

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 02:24:25AM -0700, Sean Hamilton wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> As I understand, "dmesg" prints the tail end of a circular buffer stored
> someplace on the root partition. Is it possible to have it read back beyo=
nd
> the last reboot? Occasionaly I see it do this, though I have no idea why.
>=20
> In this case, I have a kernel that panicked, and am looking for clues.
> Nothing in /var/log/messages...
>=20
> sh
>=20