Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:40:52 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ndc status error from new named set-up

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>      I've just set up, what I hoped would be a caching nameserver in a
> sandbox. However, after rebooting, I wanted to test to see that all is
> well, and got some errors from running "ndc status":
> # ndc status
> ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
> ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

From the article in the handbook:

---
Symlink /var/run/ndc to /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc:

    # ln -sf /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc /var/run/ndc

Note: This simply avoids having to specify the -c option to ndc(8) every
time you run it. If this is something that you find useful, you may wish
to add this entry to root's crontab, making use of the @reboot option.
See crontab(5) for more information regarding this.
---

i.e., when you rebooted, /var/run/ndc got deleted, and you need to either
remake it, or run ndc with "-c /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc".

Ceri

--
you can't see when light's so strong
you can't see when light is gone