Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:59:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpd in FBSD 4.7-RC broken?

Hello.

Since a today's cvsupdate and a new built of world and kernel,
lpd of the printer server is no longer available to other hosts
(/etc/hosts.lpd is up to date, no changes has been done to the
printer configurations!).

When calling lpq or other tools (lpc), trying to access the remote
printer daemon, the system receives the error message:

lpd [@printer.server.host]: Print-services are not available to your host (some.slave.host).

Doing a telnet printer.server.host 515 results in the same message.

Firewall is 'open' (ipfw), also we set a line in /etc/host.allow to
enable access to the printer server (but as I said: never changed for
months!).

Can anyone help or report about the same problem?

Thanks.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)