Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:21:15 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Weird uptime(1) output

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:12:50PM +1200, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:32:14PM -0400, AlanE wrote:
>> I have discussed this with the KDE maintainer of kdm, and he states that
>> he *wants* the utmp entry to be :0 (or :0.0, or whatever the DISPLAY
>> is). While I disagree with that, it's kinda hard to get that information
>> (the tty) to the script that makes the utmp entry.
>>
>> I may try another way to do it in a FBSD patch once KDE 3.1 hits the
>> tree (whenever that is). For right now, you'll just have to live with
>> it, as I'm the guy who normally maintains kdm in the ports tree.
>
>I've changed it from :0 to console (and it works fine). The file to
>patch manually is the last line of /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xstartup:
>
>    exec sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers -u /var/run/utmp $USER
>
>to:
>    exec sessreg -a -l console -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers -u /var/run/utmp $USER

Well, technically that's not truly correct. You really want it to say
(for the default case) ttyv8 but the problem is getting that passed from
kdm on out as some sort of env var (DISPLAY_TTY?) that you can use.

kdm knows it's ttyvN because that's the first arg, but all it does with
that is bitch about it (unless I patched that out, I don't remember).

copied to stable, but replies set to kde-freebsd only; please respect that and
do not copy this topic further on the stable list. thanks.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.