Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:46:04 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Weird uptime(1) output

Thus spake AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>:
> >I've changed it from :0 to console (and it works fine). The file to
> >patch manually is the last line of /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xstartup:
> >
> >    exec sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers -u /var/run/utmp $USER
> >
> >to:
> >    exec sessreg -a -l console -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers -u /var/run/utmp $USER
[...]
> copied to stable, but replies set to kde-freebsd only; please respect that and
> do not copy this topic further on the stable list. thanks.

Actually, this is not a KDE-specific problem.  If you add the
canonical invocation of sessreg in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
in order to log ordinary X logins, you will experience the same
problem.  w/uptime and wall don't seem to have trouble with ':N'
entries in utmp on Linux or Solaris as they do on FreeBSD, so
perhaps the appropriate solution is merely to suppress the
diagnostic.  In any case, I'm interested in this problem, so if
you insist on not CCing stable, please CC me.  Thanks.