Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:58:11 -0000
From:      Sten Poldma <exile@chamber.ee>
To:        Katsushi Kobayashi <ikob@koganei.wide.ad.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 28bit address limitation on HD

Hi,

A follow-up om the case previously reported..

[excuse me for the rant]

A new box: MAPOWER (MAP-35F), Unfortunately it does not appear on the
manufacturer homepage anymore: http://www.mapower.com.tw/ieee_1394.htm
But is similar to the MAP-J51F although not much details are offered there.

The box works fine Under MacOS X, when plugging into the FreeBSD and loading the
firewire drivers, I see the Hd fine..

/kernel: da1: <Mapower  0032> Fixed Simplified Direct Access SCSI-4 device
/kernel: da1: 50.000MB/s transfers
/kernel: da1: 156334MB (320173056 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 19929C)

As you can see, it is the same Hd, and the geometry looks fine..
The HD was formatted to UFS in Mac before plugging it in, still, I did not find
the partition there when I plugged it to the BSD machine.

Anyhow, I partitioned, Labeled it and newfs'it through the /stand/sysinstall
with no freaky settings. So far so good, and created the da1s1e partition.

When trying to mount it, I get device busy. I try to switch the ports of the
firewire etc, Still unable to mount it with the same error. I check the
partition and label, they look to be OK.

So what seems to be the problem now ? The sytem can see the box and the disk, I
can fdisk,label,newfs it. But I can't mount it.

Also, why is the device recognized as da1 ? It is the only device on the chain.

Anyway, I seemed to solve the problem with rebooting the entire box (firewire
driver unload\load cycle did not seem to help). The reboot phase gave me a Page
Fault 12 error as well, but after the system came up, the device was recognized
as da0 and mounting the disk was fine.

I find it peculiar behaviour, do you happen to have any idea of what might have
caused this ?

Anyway, I hope this little experience might come in handy to someone in the
future.

Regards,

Sten