Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:21:30 +0200
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   non-transparent IPsec via a tun interface?

I have a firewall system that has a dedicated interface on which nly
IPsec traffic is going out and comming in. The firewall
encrypts and decrypts these packets.

I am using Ipfilter on that system and I would like to filter on
the unencrypted content, both incoming and outgoing.

The problem is that on the "IPsec interface" I only see the encrypted
traffic.

Is there a way to make IPsec be non-transparent?

E.g: have a /dev/tun interface that is the non-encrypted variant of the
dedicated ipsec interface? (I route pakets into the tun interface
and they are encrypted and put out of the real dedicated interface,
and vice versa: if IPsec traffic come into the real interface, they
are decrypted and send thorugh the tunnel)

-Guido