Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:08:04 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI brokenness

> > "Hard hang" means that the probe messages stop around the parallel
> > device, and nothing else happens. The PCCARD ethernet remains dead.
> > the disk is silent and no amount of keyboard activity does anything
> > at all. Serial console dead. Reset needed to reboot.
>
> So it doesn't boot at all, that's different from "hard-hang during reboot".
> :)  After ppc your device probe is over.  You could be getting an
> interrupt storm.  Can you break into ddb when this happens?

Roger the diference. :-)

No. I cannot break into DDB. The keyboard may as well not be there.

> > In practical terms, this is a regression, in that previous function
> > has been removed before an adequate replacement was ready.
>
> Ok, I have a question now.  How did ata get probed before?  If you
> add hints for it does it get probed?  It doesn't appear to be a PCI
> device.  It may be that we need to make it work as an ATA attachment
> somehow.  Also, did ata1 show up before?

Yes - I have hints.

Here is my hints file (which has not changed in at least 6 months)

# $FreeBSD$
#hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
#hint.apm.0.at="nexus"
#hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
hint.ata.0.at="isa"
hint.ata.0.irq="14"
hint.ata.0.port="0x1F0"
hint.atkbd.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
hint.atkbd.0.irq="1"
hint.atkbdc.0.at="isa"
hint.atkbdc.0.port="0x060"
hint.fdc.0.at="isa"
hint.fdc.0.port="0x3F0"
hint.fdc.0.irq="6"
hint.fdc.0.drq="2"
hint.fd.0.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.0.drive="0"
hint.npx.0.at="nexus"
hint.npx.0.irq="13"
hint.npx.0.port="0x0F0"
hint.pcic.0.at="isa"
#hint.pcic.0.irq="3"
hint.pcic.0.maddr="0xd0000"
hint.pcic.0.port="0x3e0"
hint.pmtimer.0.at="isa"
hint.ppc.0.at="isa"
hint.ppc.0.irq="7"
hint.psm.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.psm.0.irq="12"
hint.sc.0.at="isa"
hint.sc.0.flags="0x100"
hint.vga.0.at="isa"
hint.pcm.0.at="isa"
hint.pcm.0.irq="5"
hint.pcm.0.drq="1"
hint.pcm.0.flags="0x0"
#hint.midi.0.at="isa"
#hint.midi.0.irq="5"
#hint.midi.0.flags="0x0"
#hint.midi.0.at="isa"
#hint.midi.0.port="0x2F8"
#hint.midi.0.irq="3"
hint.sbc.0.at="isa"
hint.sbc.0.port="0x220"
hint.sbc.0.irq="5"
hint.sbc.0.drq="1"
hint.sbc.0.flags="0x10"

> >> Iwasaki-San's patch adds back in the only part of the extra "bogus"
> >> stuff that legacy took out that could have an effect on your system
> >> with respect to PCI.
> >
> > Ok. But it doesn't work. :-(
>
> Well, it does fix some things since we now find your PCI devices.
> Assuming that works that is all that legacy changed.  Adding
> legacy didn't change anything wrt ata(4).  Did you used to have
> hints for ata and now don't perchance?

No. I have 2 kernels - /boot/kernel     (today's sources)
                       /boot/kernel.old (sept 22nd sources)
same device.hints. kernel.old works, kernel has no hard disk.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn