Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:31:36 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/games Makefile src/games/wargames Makefile wargames.6 wargames.c

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:08:43PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:19:26PM -0700, Juli Mallett wrote:
> > jmallett    2002/10/08 13:19:26 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     games                Makefile
> >   Removed files:
> >     games/wargames       Makefile wargames.6 wargames.c
> >   Log:
> >   Remove the wargames(6) novelty [and not the fun kind]:
> >           1) It never was very funny.
>
> In your opinion.
>
> >           2) It was a N line shell script where N is less than
> >              X, where X is the number of lines of the Berkeley
> >              copyright and license.
>
> So.  It is part of the 4.4BSD games set.

So were boggle, chess, ching, dungeon, warp and xneko. It looks like
ching and xneko got imported, but were later removed. Boggle, dungeon and
warp don't seem to have been in -Lite. At least dungeon and warp don't allow
copying for profit. Boggle was "believed to contain source code proprietary
to AT&T". Chess is/was GNUware.

My point is that things come and go, and that many games were removed from
-Lite that were in 4.4BSD. I'm not one bit sad to see this hideous 80's-ism
get removed (although I wouldn't have even wasted the effort removing it).

Tim