Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:40:01 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cheap power-pc platform on eBay...

* De: David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> [ Data: 2002-10-12 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: cheap power-pc platform on eBay... ]
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 09:55:00AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > There are quite a number of these gadgets on eBay right now, they would
> > probably make a cheap entry-level platform for powerpc work:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2059912083
>
> Be careful buying one.  I got one a year ago, and even though the ad said
> "Ethernet" it was "Token ring Ethernet".  :-(
>
> So I would be very careful to check the model number at the IBM site
> before buying.

They're nice little toys.  Mine is Ethernet.  You can run NetBSD on them,
but the port is still not outside IBM, as far as I know...  Though they
distribute binaries of it.  Be sure to get the "2.0" version of their
software -- 1.0 is NCD/OS.

I've got one I'm going to send to Benno as soon as I can afford it.  I've
been waiting for that to happen for a few months :/

There are *many* different varieties.  Some of them FreeBSD would *NEVER*
want to target.  Others would be great.  The one PHK points to looks to
be one of the ickier ones.

Check the NetBSD port-powerpc archives, or look around for info of the
ibmnws port.

juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve