Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:29:38 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        David Lloyd <lloy0076@adam.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-4.7-Release

On 2002-10-14 11:49, David Lloyd <lloy0076@adam.com.au> wrote:
> Giorgos,
>
> > What are you confused about?
>
> Some people are telling me that I've got a pre-release of 4.7 whilst
> others are telling me I have the official release now being downloaded
> of the FreeBSD mirror. Given that I have 4 CD's I don't want to download
> them all again if I can avoid it.

Where did you get those CDROMs from?

> I've installed 4.3, 4.4 and 4.6. I'm more of a Linux (and RedHat Linux
> at that) person so FreeBSD feels very familiar but also very foreign.
> Especially it's default shell for users, I always end up tabbing four
> times before I realise autocompletion isn't on :-(

That's fine.  Little differences do exist in the basic system of most
UNIX installations.  You can always install extra packages and tweak
the setup of it all, to bring it all where you feel more comfortable.

The specific auto-completion trouble results from the default shell
you are using, which is most likely /bin/sh for everyone but root.
It's easy to install a package of zsh or bash, if you like Bourne
shells better, or switch to tcsh from the base system.

Giorgos.