Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:15:58 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: color, again, in grotty

>This only covers _attributes_, but not color sequences, which are
>the Subject: here.  While we can still use an old scheme to produce
>device-independent sequences for attributes, we lose the color
>support completely: FreeBSD's man(1) will be black-n-white forever.

That's right. It will, forever, have to support printing manual
pages on output devices that do not support colour. But this is
far from the point.

As Terry mentioned, the notion of the nroff "tty" device as a
monochromatic, sometimes overstriking, printer is firmly entrenched. And
the format, by the nature of its simplicity, is universal. The idea of
changing it now tells me that the groff maintainers need to learn some
history, lest they repeat it.

Haven't we learned a lesson from HTML? The unreadable colour
combinations are bad enough there. The *LAST* thing I need is man pages
with unreadable colour markup. What possible purpose can colour output
from nroff serve, other than to satisfy someones craving for more
blinkenlitz? We're knocking on the door of the twilight zone here,
folks.

As an aside, I'm about 1/4 of the way through bringing the 4.4BSD
ditroff into the current millenium. I think it's time to up the priority
on this project.

--lyndon