Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:59:21 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libfetch common.c

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:02:17AM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:

> >  Fix `pkg_add -r' by backing out revs 1.34-1.38.
>
> No concept of contacting the person who wrote the changes that you
> object to and get them to help you debug?

Why is FreeBSD's attitude one of all changes are totally justified and if
a change breaks something it is up to the one feeling the new breakage to
justify any further change?

We really need to change our attitude to one that a change that causes a
problem is backed out (ie, unbreaks world), and then the change is
reviewed to see what went wrong.  That leads to better quality software.
Instead we allow bugs to enter and sit in the tree while it makes it all
the harder to either backout or track down the problem.

But do note, I did look for you on IRC to discuss this with you at the
time.  I can provide a log.  But no, I didn't expect you to be on IRC at
beckoning to my call at dark-thirty in the morning.

> Can I fix my firewall by putting my changes back unilaterally, since
> you backed them out unilaterally?

Sure.