Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:29:21 -0800
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libfetch common.c

>Why is FreeBSD's attitude one of all changes are totally justified and if
>a change breaks something it is up to the one feeling the new breakage to
>justify any further change?

That's not my attutide.  My attitude is that forward progress, even if
bumpy, is better than backward progress.

If I had your attitude, I would have backed out rev 1.27 of common.c,
because that was what started my problem with firewalls, instead of
writing the patch in PR bin/44123.  I recognized that SSL was a useful
addition to fetch, so worked to move it forward instead of backward.

>We really need to change our attitude to one that a change that causes a
>problem is backed out (ie, unbreaks world), and then the change is
>reviewed to see what went wrong.

I don't think an "insta-backout" is called for, especially if the
code works in the majority of cases and only fails in a small number
(like was the case here).  If the issue can't be resolved reasonably
in a small number of days, then a backout may be called for, but backing
something out because you couldn't find someone to talk to about it
at 3:00AM is ludicrous.

  Bill