Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:04:14 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fetchmail and mailbox in use error

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

I usually use either a FreeBSD box or another box running Gentoo Linux,
as my workstation.  Lately, (I don't remember this happening before
upgrading to 4.7-STABLE) I've had a problem with fetchmail.

As I'm the only user on the box, rather than run sendmail or others, I
use fetchmail which goes to procmail and then read mail with mutt. I use
nbsmtp to send mail.=20

If I'm in FreeBSD, and run fetchmail as a daemon, polling at 5 or 10
minute intervals, eventually it stops working.  Running it in verbose
mode gives me back an error from nyc.rr.com's pop server that the
mailbox is in use.  Running both fetchmail and procmail in verbose mode
indicate that the problem occurs only on the server, before anything
reaches my machine.  If I wait an hour or so, it usually again works
without problem for several hours.

However, I haven't had the problem on the Linux box, even if I start
polling every two minutes.  Googling has come up with nothing--posts
about similar error messages had to do with MS platforms--which makes me
think that I'm missing something incredibly obvious.  The only other
differences between the Gentoo box and FreeBSD box that I can see are
that Gentoo uses .maildir format and FreeBSD uses Mail by default.
However, as mentioned above, all problems seem to occur on the server.=20

While it might be coincidence that it only happens while I'm using the
FreeBSD box, it seems peculiar--as fetchmail is an independent program,
I don't see what could be causing it to act one way with FreeBSD and not
with Linux and would be grateful for any suggestions of manpages, et al.
(The fetchmail and fetchmailrc manpages haven't helped--if the answer is
there, I'm missing it.)  Again, as I haven't found anything on Google, I
suspect I am missing something obvious.

TIA
--=20

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Do you know what he's going to do to me when he
finds out I let his car get stolen? I mean, what are the chances that
a vampire has full insurance with a low deductible?

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--