Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:28:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        RD <unixnoob@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router/Firewall Questions

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, RD wrote:

> Hi guys,  me again :)
>   well I've been reading up on compiling a kernel for nat and ipfw.
> I'm running a d-link 704 router now.  I want some input here...
>
> I have an extra box (p200 - 128ram) for a router firewall.. I was
> thinking about it being my Gateway/Router/Firewall for my other 3
> computers.  I run a webserver box, a ftp server box, and my workstation
> box behind my d-link.
>
>  What advantages/disadvantages would I have by running freebsd in place
> of the d-link?

	Let's be honest folks,

	If you are not running any special services or are not in the
	pursuit of learning, then having BSD do the work is pointless.

	If you want to learn a little something then it may be worth
	doing.  It does give you the opportunity to do more with your
	network.  People could go on and on about what it can do for
	you.  I'll just leave it at: "lots".

> How do I connect this?  Do I use 2 eithernets 1 to net and 1 to a hub? I
> also have 1 crossover rj45 cable for card to card connection that I
> haven't tried yet...

	Yes, 2 ethernet cards.  One for the outside network and one for
	the inside network.  Basic stuff.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
 "Wouldn't it be great if we could answer people with a
  kick to the crotch?"  -maddox@xmission.com