Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:13:37 -0700
From:      Soren Harward <soren@et.byu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   changing build options for ports

I was trying to build VIM on my webserver, and it started to build the X
version, downloading all the X libraries, etc.  This is a lights out
machine, so I didn't want X on it, so I killed the build.  I eventually
figured out that by putting:

WITHOUT_X11=1

somewhere near the beginning of my Makefile, I could force it to build
w/o X11 support.  With my new-found power, I began to tweak other
build-time configuration options with other ports.  But then I thought,
"you know, theres gotta be a better way to set these options than
editing the Makefile".  What is the "best common practice" to set
these options?

--
Soren Harward
soren@byu.edu