Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:06:33 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        kientzle@acm.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc size

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:19:39 -0500 (EST)
Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org> wrote:

Hi,

> And of course the "answer" to that is to create a /lib. Something that
> I would *never ever* want to see. Sure, a few people might throw
> around the
        ^^^^^^^^^^

Why? I'd love to hear some real reasons for this. NetBSD-current has
just gone fully dynamic, let's see how much space that needs...

christine: {16} uname -srnm
NetBSD christine.energyhq.tk 1.6J i386
christine: {17} du -h /bin /sbin /lib
999K    /bin
1.7M    /sbin
2.0M    /lib

/lib keeps the required shared libs for those programs residing in
/[s]bin.

IMHO it would be beneficial to, at least, have the option to build a
fully dynamic system on FreeBSD.

NetBSD now defaults to fully dynamic, but you can set a knob in
/etc/mk.conf to get the old behaviour, how about something like that?

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt