Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:21:26 -0500
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing to HP845c attached to Win2K - over samba?

On 04 Nov 2002 06:21:42 +0000
Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com> wrote:

>      I'm trying to set up printing over samba to an HP845c printer
> attached (usb) to a Win2K box on the network.

 Hi Stacey. I have almost the same setup working for me right now. FreeBSD
4.4 is my "main" box, and I have a Win2K box with an HP930C connected to
it, and I can print from my FreeBSD box over to the HP.

 This took me a LONG time to get working, and once, after I let
portupgrade lose on my machine for a couple days I broke the printing
thing for months before I finally decided to try and fix it.

 I was unable to find any clear documentation on this. Even though I tried
to document what I did to fix it, I didn't do a good job on that either.
So be warned!

 I found I had to use smbprint and ASPFILTER. Installing ASPFILTER will
install a host of programs. You need them all. Pay careful attention to
what type of printer(s) you install in GHOSTSCRIPT. Be sure to select
SAMBA printing in ASPFILTER. I had to select something close to the HP890C
but it works fine.

 Let ASPFILTER adjust your /etc/printcap file.

 You'll need a .config file in your spool directory (mine is in
/var/spool/lpd/lp). It contains the server=, service= and password=
variables needed for network access to the printer from the FreeBSD box.
naturally you need to set up sharing on your Win2K box that matches this
information.

 I can't remember if I had to edit /usr/local/samba/smbprint or not. But
make sure this file exists and jives with the info in your /etc/printcap
file. Ditto for your spool directories. Make sure what's in your printcap
directory really exists. I also found the logfile(s) handy.

 And don't forget to restart lpd when making changes at the command line
with lpc restart all

 I'm doing pretty well with my setup. It even prints in color.

 Scary Gerry -- Senior Systems Manager
 freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
 -For web-hosting, Perl, PHP & MySql
  programming see http://www.interpool.ca