Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:49:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>
To:        Martijn Pronk <martijn@smartie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd problems

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Martijn Pronk wrote:

> However, I had some starting problems with rpc.lockd.
> Aparently it requires that rpc.statd also is running.

Hmmm, it shouldn't fail if rpc.statd isn't enabled, but it should probably
complain loudly.  Make sure you file a FreeBSD bug report on that, and
I'll go take a look why.

statd is used to recover locks when the server dies or to release locks
when the client dies.  I don't actually know if it is "required" by the
specification, but I don't think I've ever seen NFS used without it.

Can you produce a packet trace for Kris?  This would give him a known good
trace so that he can point out the differences from his particular
configuration, or, alternatively, he could file a bug report with the
Linux folks.

Thanks for taking the time to try the configuration,
-a