Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:50:28 -0800
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@agilent.com>
To:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bus_dmamem_alloc failing

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:03:44AM -0600, mark tinguely wrote:
[snip]
> The memory is avaliable to the kernel/drivers when bus_dmamem_free() is
> called. The problem for you is that someone else does allocate a
> page within the 16 page chunk making it unable to reallocatable by you,
> so the next bus_dmamem_alloc() looks for the next 16 page contiguous
> chunk. This continues until there is no more 16 page contiguous chunks
> available and the bus_dmamem_alloc() fails. FreeBSD does not have a
> physical memory defragmenter.

Ok, I get it now. Thanks to all for the explanation. Would a physical
defragmenter be of interest? I can't work on it right away, but if
there is interest, I could take a look at this later.

--
Chuck Tuffli    <chuck_tuffli AT NO_SPAM agilent DOT com>
Agilent Technologies, Storage and Networking