Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:06:05 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asking for tester (small patch to chown(8)/chgrp(1))

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:29:20PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> I've submitted a small patch (bin/45333) for both -stable
> and -current, but I haven't been able to test it under
> -current (due to lack of a spare machine).  Would someone
> please give it a try and let me know if it compiles and
> works?

Seems to for me (today's -CURRENT).

I did take the liberty of removing the extraneous space on (the new) line
151 (so its "if" lines up with those on lines 153 & 155), and of
replacing the 'usage:' on (the new) line 305 (chgrp's usage() message,
showing the second alternative invocation) with whitespace (to match the
pattern for chown).  (If someone wants my diff, please let me know.
It's not sufficiently different from what Oliver put in his PR to
warrant spamming -current, as far as I'm concerned.)

> The patch adds an option -r to chown(8) and chgrp(1), which
> does pretty much the same as the -r option of touch(1) and
> truncate(1).  Basically, it let's you "copy" ownerships and
> group memberships from one file to another, which is useful
> in scripts.

Makes sense.  Only reservation I'd have -- and this may well be
unfounded -- is to be sure we're not introducing gratutitous
differences with respect to other implementations or to applicable
standards.  I have no problem with functional differences that don't
break standards conformance (to the extent we claim it, anyway).

> Thanks!

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I have no confidence in results obtained through the use of Microsoft products.