Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:59:56 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>, ia64@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DP2 ports..

--==_Exmh_-521545596P

If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:

> Erm, so you effectively did a NOPORTS release?  *sigh*

Well...I had a full ports tree to build the docproj ports so I could
build docs.

I thought it would be best to have a ports tree that matched up with the
package set...was that wrong?

> Perhaps it
> is a mistake to even be building ports and docs as part of make release.
> Maybe we should only build docs once in a standalone environ (though
> they would need their own dist if we did that) and the same for ports.

Hrmph.  The problems you see are a result of breakage that should be
fixed.  Note that if we build docs standalone, we'd need to do some
extra work to make release docs available from the sysinstall doc menu
(they need to be in the mfsroot).

(On the other hand, I have some infrastructure to help build docs
separately, if we decide to do this.)

> I guess I'll build DP2 w/o any docs or ports for now.

If you do that, can I suggest some workarounds?

Use the pre-built release documentation files from the RELNOTESng
snapshot site.  Go to:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/5.0-DP2/

Grab the relevant files (there should be six documents...three are MI
and three are MD).  A "normal" release with docs would have 13
RELNOTESng files (HTML and TXT for each of six documents, plus the CSS).
I can make up tarball(s) for you if this would help?

Also, you should be able to grab the regular doc distribution from the
i386 bits.

> The docs don't
> build on sparc64 anyway w/o the binutils import.

OK, well on that platform, that trumps our whole conversation.  :-p

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-521545596P

--==_Exmh_-521545596P--

with "unsubscribe freebsd-ia64" in the body of the message