Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:00:31 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Gotchas when trying 5.0-DP2

Gang,

I tried the DP2 install myself and with some corrective actions and
retries one can actually finish an install and end up with a usable
system. A quick rundown follows:

1. a CD boot (using miniinst.iso) doesn't give me any troubles on my
   Itanium box. The mechanics work, so the problem here is the same
   as on any other architecture: does the kernel boot at all?

2. When partitioning the disk, you have to create an EFI slice (type
   239). I used 110M as the size for it and that was enough to hold
   2 kernels of which one was a debug kernel. Note that the installer
   still creates MBR partitions (=slices). Remember the EFI device
   name (eg da0s1) at this point. You need it later.

3. When you create BSD partitions and define mount points, make sure
   you give the EFI partition a mount point and also mark it as newfs.
   In the description below I assume the mount point of the EFI
   partition is called efi.

4. The actual install (after selecting ditribution, media and if you
   want ports collection) starts off with an error. The error dissapears
   too quickly, but it must be because the EFI partition couldn't be
   mounted.  This is nasty but not critical. The install continues
   and finished successfully. We just have to patch things up. You
   first finish the install in the normal way. Just fix things up
   before you reboot (ie exit the installer).

5. After the install, go to vty4 (holographic shell) and fix the
   link /boot->/mnt/efi/boot to be /boot->efi/boot (ie relative!).
   Secondly, manually mount the EFI partition. This fixes the
   currently known bugs in the installer and which ultimately causes
   you to end up without a kernel to boot from (ouch).

6. Reinstall the base distribution. This will cause kernels to be
   installed under /boot. Since we linked that to efi/boot, we end
   up with kernels and modules on the EFI partition. That's where
   we need them.

7. Reboot and create an EFI menu entry and you should be all set to
   go.

FYI,