Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:57:29 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Roman Pavlik <rp@tns.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldload ipl: symbol pfil_add_hook undefined

Apparently, On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:36:44PM +0100,
	Roman Pavlik said words to the effect of;

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 08:05:31PM +0100, Roman Pavlik wrote:
> > Another problem is, that I'd like to use ipfilter, but there
> > is no /dev/ipl on my ultra5 FreeBSD installation. There is
> > even no MAKEDEV in /dev directory.
> >

> I decided to install FreeBSD-5.0-DP2 from iso-image just to
> have the same installation like all the others here.
> Unfortunately, I still have the problem with ipl:
>
> On fresh FreeBSD-5.0-DP2 installation on Ultra5:
>
> # kldload /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
> link_elf: symbol pfil_add_hook undefined
> kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/ipl.ko: No such file or directory
>
> # ls -al /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  146528 Nov 20 16:47 /boot/kernel/ipl.ko
>
> Can anybody pls. try to do kldload ipl.ko?

Can you try just compiling it into your kernel with options IPFILTER?
If that works and you really want to use the kld, try options PFIL_HOOKS.
I've never used ipfilter so I don't really know how this is supposed to
work, but it doesn't seem to me that the file with that function is pulled
into the kernel without either of these options.

Hope this helps,
Jake