Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:12:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warcraft3 on FreeBSD

> > I havn't submitted them to anyone b/c I wanted more people to test them.
> > The patches work fine with everything I've tried though (using the
> > linux_base-7.1 package). I've tested linux-mozilla, quake3, Unreal
> > Tournament 2003, Return to castle Wolfenstein, and now winex. (winex won't
> > work without the patches). So I take it you're interested in messing with
> > the patches I have?

> Yes.
> I'm using suse8.
> I had the impression that glibc had fallbacks to the old (non64) functions
> when not present in kernel....
> I could get it commited but Im not shure when.
> Current is under code freeze yet.
> Either we get re@ approval or have to wait until 5.0 is out.

Well the kernel patches MIGHT not even be necessary, I'm not sure because
I only tried a little bit without them. There could be a fallback. Almost
nothing would run right without the mmap2, it would run and crash at one
place or another. For all the syscalls, I noticed that they weren't
implemented, and they were easy enough to implement (ftruncate64 and
truncate64 were similar to truncate, and mmap2 was almost a complete cut
'n paste from the mmap that's already there, just used ctob(pgoff) for pos
I believe), so I did it. My patches are to a -STABLE machine though, so
there'd probably be a little work necessary in getting them on to -CURRENT
unless the linuxulators have stayed the same between the two versions of
FreeBSD. I had help from a few people from the lists with the mmap2,
although I can't remember who helped.

Anyway, I'll submit a PR once I clean up the patches a bit.

Ken