Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:43:44 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ABIs and 5.x branch: freeze kernel module ABI at 5.0 or 5.1?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:29:04PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > That's my view as well.  However, while we don't want to unduely
> > constrain the developers, I think that the project wants to say "don't
> > change the ABIs needlessly."  Don't resort values just to resort them,
> > don't rearrange structure members just because you can, etc.  If you
> > need to do it for a compelling reason, then that's OK.
>
> which is why I think we should reserve some fields now...

I don't see much need for it.

We have a nice infrastructure (m_tags) to carry info together with
mbufs. ifnet's can be easily extended in much the same way used by
the bridging code (by using the if_index to point into external
arrays containing specific extensions); processes/threads/kseg have
the extra pointer/room for custom schedulers... I think the
usual suspects are all covered.

	cheers
	luigi