Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:06:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Martin Faxer <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WarCraft III on FreeBSD

> I took much joy in reading about your getting WarCraft III running on
> FreeBSD, since FreeBSD is my OS of choice and well... WarCraft III is my
> game of choice :)
>
> However, you might want to check out the -CURRENT source; the missing
> Linux syscalls seem to be implented, except for truncate64().

Well truncate64 didn't need to be implemented, I just did it because I was
there... However, I just checked my -CURRENT sources and it seems you're
right. mmap2 is already done, and it seems to do the same thing my
version does.

> Your version of mmap2() is considerably longer (although much of it is
> made up of comments). I'm not sure if there are any functional differences.

There aren't, I just did a direct copy from the mmap source and changed
things where they needed to be changed. I use -STABLE on my main machine,
so I didn't check -current to see if mmap2 was there or not.

> So far I haven't had any success in getting WineX to run on -CURRENT:
> The WineX process gets suspended shortly after startup, and when I
> run 'fg' it just breaks into the debugger. :(
> I guess this might be due to the recent bulk of KSE and other related
> changes.

What flags are you starting winex with? Also, you can't run the game as
normal I'm assuming because FreeBSD doesn't have block devices. The game
needs to be able to check the cdrom, in order to be able to run, and it
expects to see block devices (since linux still has them). I own a copy of
Warcraft 3 but it seems that in order to get it working (until we have
block devices working) you have to use a nocd hack.

Using that, and moving the Movies directory to Movies.bak in the installed
warcraft directory, I am able to start it with:

winex --dll quartz=n -- war3.exe (-opengl)

The -opengl is optional. Have you tried this?

> If you make any attempts at running WineX on -CURRENT, I'd very much
> like to hear about them!
>
> Again, thanks for doing this. Once WC III works under FreeBSD my Windows
> partition will be gone ;)

Thanks

Ken