Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:49:34 +0100
From:      Martin Faxer <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WarCraft III on FreeBSD

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:06:44PM -0500, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> What flags are you starting winex with? Also, you can't run the game as
> normal I'm assuming because FreeBSD doesn't have block devices. The game
> needs to be able to check the cdrom, in order to be able to run, and it
> expects to see block devices (since linux still has them). I own a copy of
> Warcraft 3 but it seems that in order to get it working (until we have
> block devices working) you have to use a nocd hack.

I'm not passing any flags at all to WineX.  The "suspend problem" seems
to happen with all .exe files I've tried so far.  Even the simple ones
that in theory should work, like eg. notepad.exe.

This is what it looks like:

redpixel@lockdown:/dos/Program Files/Warcraft III %>
/compat/linux/usr/bin/winex war3.exe
zsh: suspended (signal)  /compat/linux/usr/bin/winex war3.exe
redpixel@lockdown:/dos/Program Files/Warcraft III %> fg
[1]  + continued  /compat/linux/usr/bin/winex war3.exe
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
redpixel@lockdown:/dos/Program Files/Warcraft III %> uname -a
FreeBSD lockdown.spectrum.fearmuffs.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT
#2: Wed Nov 27 23:08:11 CET 2002
redpixel@lockdown.spectrum.fearmuffs.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LOCKDOWN
i386

Needless to say, that signal wasn't sent by me :).

> Using that, and moving the Movies directory to Movies.bak in the installed
> warcraft directory, I am able to start it with:
>
> winex --dll quartz=n -- war3.exe (-opengl)
>
> The -opengl is optional. Have you tried this?

I have now, and it doesn't cause any difference.  The WineX process
still gets suspended shortly after start-up. :(

BTW, I'm using WineX 2.2a.