Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:10:23 +1100
From:      Paul Armstrong <army@cyber.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-ROM based systems

I've seen a lot of conversation over the years for putting systems on CD-ROM
for various reasons. However, I've never seen anyone automate this process...

Being a large fan of automation, I decided to write some code to allow the
administrators to setup a system and just type 'make' to have it generate an
ISO.

The idea started out as a way of building CD-ROM based packet filters. However,
it's a generic script and can be used for just about any system you want to
have booting from CD. The script also supports the building of another CD for
automating the partitioning of hard disks and supplying a recovery type disk
(this CD is written before file removal if you're doing that).

I wrote it for use on FreeBSD (although it shouldn't take much to port it if
sufficient interest is shown) and have made it available under a BSD style
license.

For anyone that's interested in this kind of thing, please have a look and send
ideas/patches/bugs/bitches back to this address or psarmstr@optushome.com.au

The script and some supporting/example files can be downloaded from
http://members.optushome.com.au/psarmstr/

Paul