Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:23:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@skyrunner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd as vlan trunk controller.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Peter Brezny wrote:

> I'm looking for pointers/tips/stories on configuring freebsd for use as a
> vlan trunk controller for connecting to a cisco 2624 switch.
>
> Any pointers to docs/how to's or personal experience is appreciated.

Are you referring to the VLAN Trunking Protocol?  If so, then from what I
can tell, the 2624 does not support VTP.  It doesn't even seem to support
actual VLAN tagging.  (And, if it supports one it should support the
other.)  Instead, this switch just allows you to create multiple broadcast
domains within itself, not actual VLANs.

Also, I think you might be referring to doing a "router on a stick"
configuration.  That is, every VLAN can talk to a single port.  This
requires the NIC support either ISL (Inter-Switch Links) or 802.1Q
trunking.  As far as that goes, I've not looked into anything like that
before.