Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:21:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrew Prewett <andrew@kronos.HomeUnix.com>
To:        Kirk Bailey <idiot1@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Run as owner

On Nov 29 Kirk Bailey wrote:

> OK, man says to get a script to run as the owner, turn on the 4000 bit.

If you execute a script, and the first line begins
with `#!/usr/bin/perl -w' (in case of a perl script) and the sript is
marked executable then the kernel executes it like:

 exec("/usr/bin/perl", "perl", "-w", "script", NULL)

(It's not exact, just to point out that the setuid/setgid bit is
normally irrevelant on scripts)

See execve(2) for more.

> OK, I did. No such luck, it continues to run as the apache identity 'nobody'.
>
> Any advice?

If it's a `cgi' script, then you might need apache suexec.
If you have the ksh shell, try with suid_exec.

	-andrew