Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:03:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
Subject:   Re: mozilla on freebsd/alpha?

On the HP/CPQ/DEC site where they have redhat rpms you can get a 1.0-ish
mozilla rpm package, which you can run under linux emu -- that is what I'm
currently doing on my alpha.

I found the package to install by going to rpmfind.net and looking for
mozilla on the alpha architecture...

The one I ended up with was off HP's site, I think.

(I stashed a copy of the rpm on
ftp://ftp.clift.org/mozilla-1.0.0-9.alpha.rpm but there is probably
something newer now)

Some of the responses to your email wonder if the build has ever worked
from ports - the answer is yes, it worked in the pre 1.X days but with the
addition of the xpcom stuff, it has been continuously broken - something
about our tool-chain generating different function offsets than the linux
tool-chain.  There was some discussion of this in mid October IIRC - xpcom
is this nifty way to call functions back and forth between different
languages and requires platform support for every platform that mozilla
works on - they grope around in function call tables specific to each
machine/os.  I seem to remember that someone thought they could get it to
work - this was just before 4.7-R was made and the hope was to ship with a
ports tree that worked -- I guess interest in this has waned... - I
eventually gave up and found that linux rpm -- if only there were a more
up-to-date one...  Shrug.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.