Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:46:50 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pdftex problems?

On 2002-12-05 21:29, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> I've been trying some in-house documentation using DocBook and then the
> FreeBSD DTD.  The pdftex version seems far superior to the ps2pdf
> version of the same document, at least if the end result is PDF.  The
> table of contents has links to the pages, for example.
>
> But there's an ominous note about limitations of pdftex in the Handbook
> Makefile.  So I'd like to ask for more detail about the limits: what are
> they?  Am I likely to hit them with a much smaller manual if I stick
> with pdftex instead of the ps2pdf method?

IIRC the problems that pdftex has with the Handbook are caused by the
design of TeX.  TeX uses large, static, preallocated arrays as "pools"
of memory for the data it needs while running.  The size of these
tables is probably configurable at build time, but I haven't used
teTeX or something similar in a while and I can't remember why I had
this impression when the problems with pdftex started.