Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 2002 15:17:53 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        re-builders@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ia64 RC1 finished

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 11:11:01AM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> > None of our other 64 bit platforms do this.  It seems that on sparc64 and
> > alpha, the called function does any truncation and otherwise returns in a 6
    4
> > bit register.  On ia64 though, the calling function does the truncation and
> > extension.  eg: it takes the "int" result from malloc and zeroes out
> > bits 32-63 to "extend" it to a 64 bit pointer.
>
> ... and this invariably turns a perfectly valid region 2 or 3 address
> into a perfectly invalid region 0 address... :-(

Yeah.

> > There are lots and lots and lots of ports that simply do the cast like in
> > the example above rather than try and get the includes right.  I suspect
> > this is going to hurt ia64 a lot more more than time_t stuff. :-(
>
> It's not to late to abandon this ship and work on AMD x86_64
> instead :-/
>
> I don't think that WARNS=berserk will help. It will only result in
> massive compilation failures and an unimaginable huge amount of
> patching. Just too much work.

Actually, I'd half like to make the "assigning pointer from different sized
integer" and/or "casting to pointer from integer of different size"
warnings become *fatal* errors.  Catch the problem at the source.  Right
now its a warning that is invariably ignored and moves the failure from
compile time to run time.  I'd rather have a failed package build than ship
a binary that doesn't work.

Cheers,
-Peter