Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:55:17 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mickey Mouse Power Plug

On Sunday 08 December 2002 03:14 pm, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	This is not an iPod.  This is an LCD iMac.  It does use
> 120/240VAC, and Apple has chosen to use a somewhat non-standard power
> connector.
>
> 	It happens to be the exact same style of plug that they've used
> on their laptop power supplies, up until the very latest square white
> models used with the latest models of laptops.  It also happens to be
> the same sort frequently used by Compaq.

So who sets these "standards" rendering the iMac power plug, which
happens to be used by Compaq and others, "non-standard"? Twenty or 25
years ago the now common NEMA plug wasn't all so common. The then
common detachable power cord plug was the little two prong plug on
electric shavers and a bigger version used on coffee pots.

All UL cares about is whether or not the socket/plug pair is safe from
shock and made from materials which does not burst into flames.

Apple chose a Big Enough power connector to fit on the back of the iMac.
At least two other connectors (speaker and VGA) on the back of the iMac
are way more uncommon than the power plug. Its just that I thought the
power plug at the angle shown in the picture was funny.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net