Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:56:56 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@skyrunner.net>
Cc:        "Orville R. Weyrich_Jr" <orville@ameriroots.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: passive mode ftp server, need stateful ipfw rule.

Guys, you're both missing the point.  Any flavor of ftp makes the data
connection separate from the control connection, so something must
permit the SYN of the data connection to pass.  natd is able to do
this for clients using active-mode ftp, but I don't think it can do
it for a server with a passive-mode client.

One pragmatic solution is to adjust the range of random tcp ports
chosen to a fairly narrow one, and then allow the setup from any to
that port range.

The real answer is to get rid of ftp, and use something better.  For
replacing anonymous ftp, http works just as well.  scp, sftp or https
with passwords will do fine for restricting users and ensuring file
integrity.

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:42:11PM -0500, Peter Brezny wrote:
> Yes but then you run into:
>    DYNAMIC RULES
>      In order to protect a site from flood attacks involving fake TCP
> packets,
>      it is safer to use dynamic rules:
>
>            ipfw add check-state
>            ipfw add deny tcp from any to any established
>
> And also, if you've got an:
> add allow all from any to any established
>
> arn't you sort of setting yourself up.  Couldn't someone establish a valid
> connection to a valid port, then, have a field day?
>
> TIA
>
> Peter Brezny
> Skyrunner.net

Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.